260 Mod: Traveler

NOTE - This post is outdated due to the installation of a full cockpit width traveler. The entire story including rationale and install notes is documented HERE.

The First 260 come from the factory without a traveler, although one is available as a Beneteau option. As a boat designed for off-the-wind cruising this makes sense, but for windward/leeward racing a traveler is necessary to get the boom up to the center-line. This allows maximum windward performance. The factory traveler IS available from Beneteau USA, but they want an eye-watering US$1150 for it. In addition, the control ends make the operational range even narrower. For my needs and my money, that was not going to work.



So, after scrounging around in my spare boat parts pile, I found most of the bits to make my own. I needed some turning blocks, and I used the traveler bar from the traveler the the PO had installed over the companionway. It is based loosely on the the factory model in terms of position.


To make the traveler span as wide as possible, I did some novel running of the control lines. The 3:1 line starts at the wall, goes over to the car, and comes back to the cockpit wall, and is turned DOWN to the center of the cockpit floor. Here two blocks mounted on the original ring for the mainsheet (sans traveler), and back up to the top of the cockpit bench, where it terminates in a Harken 150 with an extreme aspect cage.



It works OK, but is harder to adjust under load than Pia would like. The dual speed 3:1/6:1 mainsheet block is held too low to work effectually when the car is low. And the bar is still rather short. So in 2015, out it will come, to be replaced with a cockpit wide Lewmar bar and car. This work is complete and documented HERE.




Comments

  1. Hi - great blog, loads of information and that's my boat in the top picture...
    From the For Sale photos before we bought her in March :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for the nice words. I guess I should ask you ex-post-facts if I can use the image of your boat!

      Delete
    2. No problem at all - feel free to use the pictures... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) in the USA

LED Nav/anchor replacement bulb

Spinnaker Handling: Twings